A commercial griddle is an essential piece of kitchen equipment in many steak houses, restaurants, coffee shops, diners, pubs and cafeterias. They are great for cooking pancakes, French toast, fried eggs, omelets, steaks, chops, burgers and other foods that you need to prepare in batches and that require very even heat.
TYPES OF COMMERCIAL GRIDDLES
There are many different types of commercial griddles on the market today to meet your cooking, space and power requirements.
Electric griddles – powered by electricity, many electric griddles are energy efficient
Gas griddles – powered by natural gas or propane, gas griddles are the griddle of choice by many chefs for their even heating
Steam-heated and infrared griddles – new to the market and gaining acceptance
Countertop griddles – smaller in size and are often used when space and/or portability are a premium for example for buffets or catering
Floor griddles – take up more space and are often used in commercial or restaurant kitchens
Griddle tops (or plates) are usually made from cast iron or steel (cold-rolled or polished) or aluminum. Cast iron is preferred by many professional chefs for its heat retention and ability to quickly recover temperature.
QUESTION TO ASK WHEN CHOOSING AN ELECTRIC GRIDDLE OR GAS GRIDDLE
Whether you choose a gas griddle, electric griddle or a floor or countertop griddle, a high-quality commercial griddle is something both professional chefs and diners will flip over. Some of the question to ask before investing in a commercial griddle:
- How much will it be used?
- What kinds of features do the chefs need?
- What kind of maintenance and cleaning is required for the griddle? Will it be easy to clean and maintain?
- What kind of space does it require and what space is available for the griddle?
- Does it need to be portable? Will customers be watching the chefs cook on the griddle?
- What are the pros and cons of gas versus electric griddles?
- Does the facility support the gas or electrical requirements of the griddle?
- What kind of safety features does the griddle have?
- How much will it cost to operate the griddle?
- Are there any restrictions or requirements that will apply to the commercial griddle from the health department?
- What kind of warrantee comes with the griddle? Is it a reputable brand?
- What is your budget? A griddle is a long-term investment. It is wise to buy the best griddle your budget can afford.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A COMMERCIAL GAS GRIDDLE OR ELECTRIC GRIDDLE
Whichever type of commercial griddle you select always select a heavy-duty griddle that can serve you well for many years to come. Some important things to look for in a griddle:
- Durability to meet heavy-duty cooking needs
- Even heating over the entire cooking surface of the griddle
- Adjustable heat settings
- Fast startup and recovery times
- Easy cleaning features such as a convenient grease collection pans, non-stick cooking surfaces or stainless steel bodies
- Knob guards to protect against accidental changes or damage
- Warrantees and guarantees – generally higher quality griddles will have longer warrantees