A pleasing table top sets the stage for a great meal. Below are some simple tips for how to set a “correct” table top to welcome your guests and keep them coming back time and time again.
Where to Place Plates and Napkins on Your Table Top:
The dinner plate is the foundation of your table setting. Everything else on your table top should be positioned around the dinner plate. Restaurant Quantity Dinner Plates>>
- DINNER PLATE: Place the dinner plate in the center of the place mat or directly in front of the chair. Dinner plates should be placed approximately 2 inches from the table’s edge.
- BREAD PLATE: Place the bread plate above and to the left of the dinner plate.
- NAPKIN: Fold the napkin and place it to the left of the dinner plate or on the center of the dinner plate. There are many ways to fold napkins.
Where to Place Flatware on Your Table Top:
Flatware should be placed on the table in the order it will be used. Flatware used first should be placed on the farthest left and right sides of the plate.
- DINNER FORK: Set the dinner fork on top of the napkin to the left of the dinner plate.
- SALAD FORK: Place the salad fork to the left of the dinner fork.
- DINNER KNIFE: Place the dinner knife to the right of the dinner plate. The blade should face in.
- SOUP SPOON: Set the soup spoon to the right of the dinner knife.
- BUTTER KNIFE: Place the bread knife horizontally across the bread plate.
- DESSERT SPOON: Place the dessert spoon above the plate. It should be positioned horizontally with the bowl of the spoon pointing left.
- DESSERT FORK: Set the fork below the dessert spoon, with the prongs pointing right.
Where to Place Glassware on Your Table Top:
- WINE GLASS: Position the wine glass above and to the right of the dinner plate, above the dinner knife.
- WATER GLASS: Place the water to the left and slightly above the wine glass.
- COFFEE CUPS AND SAUCERS: Place coffee cups and saucers on the table to the right of the knife and spoon.
By following these simple steps to setting your table, you can enhance the ambiance of any meal. Find dinner plates, flatware, glasses and other table top products.